|Month||Avg. High (°F)||Avg. Low (°F)||Avg. Precipitation|
A country estate in the beautiful orchard region and rolling hills of upper Adams County, Pennsylvania. Ten miles north of the Gettysburg Battlefield and 10 miles south of Micheaux State Forest with Pine Grove Furnace Park, Laurel Lake and Fuller Lake recreation areas. Enjoy the privacy and grandeur of a restored/renovated 2-story Georgian brick farmhouse from the late 1700s sitting under huge shade trees, approximately 200 yards off Orchard Lane. Ten rooms plus 2 great hallways (3,156 sq ft). Four bedrooms plus a sitting room with fireplace upstairs (convertible to a bedroom or an addition to adjacent room to make a great master bedroom). Kitchen plus 4 rooms on first floor. Refinished wood floors. Restored walk-in fireplace in the great room (with crane and cooking tools). Restored Rumford fireplaces in the dining room and upstairs sitting room, and one more fireplace to be restored. Mostly new 200-amp wiring, excellent well, conventional septic system, and baseboard hot water heat (3 zones). Two porches and a ground-level deck. One full bath on second floor plus plumbing leads for a second and easy access for more. NEW UPGRADES: new roof, continuous "on-demand" hot water, freezer, refrigerator, dishwasher, stove, outside-vented stove hood, reconfigured more efficient heating zones, fuel oil tanks (2). Seventy-one acres as follows (approximately): 26 acres of bearing apples under lease (approximately $250,000 potential depreciation tax deduction, consult your tax advisor). 25 acres tillable or convertible to pasture or other ag uses. When planted to winter wheat, it made 68 bushels/acre plus great straw. Great ag land!. Rented out. 4 acres woodland, with a quarter-mile of Opossum Creek, a natural fish and state-stocked trout stream. 4 acres convertible to pasture. 3 acres homestead. Note: Barn in photo was in poor condition and was demolished to be used as reclaimed wood; stone wall foundation and concrete silo remain. Low real estate taxes ($3,666 for year 2013) with enrollment in Ag Conservation, Clean and Green, and Ag Preservation programs. Area zoned Land Conservation and Ag Preservation. Contiguous properties are agricultural, woodland, and Opossum Creek, greatly extending the 71-acre footprint for your personal enjoyment. This is a country estate. That means you get: Abundant and diverse wildlife on or moving through the property. Cloudless winter nights can be cold, but star-filled. During bright moons, walking the orchards and fields is an experience not able to be put into words. Owls hoot in the trees in mating rituals from the homestead to Opossum Creek. Spring is brought in with a cacophony. First the peeper frogs at about the Ides of March, along with the migratory songbirds returning. Not to mention the fragrance of all the blooming trees and wild flowers later in April and May. The orchards in bloom are awesome. Early-to-midsummer brings the fireflies. In the yard, in the meadows, and spectacularly in the trees. Sixty-foot trees lighting up like a winter display! Summer brings local fresh fruit and vegetables. Garden to your hearts delight. The earth is great for growing things. Late summer to fall brings the sounds of the dog-day cicadas in the afternoon heat and the Chrrrrr of the night tree crickets. Fall. Things settle down and apples are harvested. The angle of the sun and sunsets cast a special hue. And, mists over the meadows. Night-person or day-person, moon or sunrise, regardless of season, the mists arise and do their beautiful things unpredictably. Walk in the mists and try to catch them! Property ready to be sold as is. Price negotiable. Visitation by appointment only. Prefer email contact.
- Stories: 2
- Square Feet: 3,156
- Bedrooms: 4
- Bathrooms: 1
Heating & Cooling
- Heating: Other
- Built in: 1790
- Structure Type: Other
- Lot Size: 71 Acres
- Neighborhood information provided by Onboard Informatics © 2017. Information deemed reliable but not guaranteed.
- GreatSchools Ratings provided by GreatShools.net
- Disclaimer: “School attendance zone boundaries are supplied by Onboard Informatics and are subject to change. Check with the school directly to verify enrollment eligibility.
- All pictures, details or descriptions of any property, condition of title, value or otherwise is provided for informational purposes only and may not represent the true and current status of the property now or at the time of sale. Neither ForSaleByOwner.com, nor Seller’s Broker shall be liable for any allowance, adjustment or revision in value of any property based upon the failure of such property, its appliances, its fixtures or its floor plan to conform to any specific standard. ForSaleByOwner.com hereby disclaims any representations or warranties as it relates to all information found herein.
- The information available on this page is for marketing purposes only.
- Please contact the Listing Agent or Seller directly for inquiries regarding this property and/or to make an offer.
Let us help.
Call us toll free at
1 (888) FOR-SALE (1-888-367-7253)
Monday - Friday 7am to 7pm and Saturday 8am to 6pm (Central time)