|Month||Avg. High (°F)||Avg. Low (°F)||Avg. Precipitation|
The S.W. Lowe House and Persimmon Cottage in Clarendon, Texas- A true jewel of the Panhandle of Texas!
The main house, a Queen Anne Victorian (3300 square feet) built in 1904 proudly displays the Texas Historical Marker and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The environmentally safe property is well suited for living naturally. The great canopy of fruit and nut trees, hardwoods and conifers create a peaceful ambiance and park like setting.
Construction of the Queen Anne Victorian occurred before toxic materials came into being. The cedar used to build this house was transported by covered wagon from Louisiana.
Meticulously restored with health in mind, great care was taken during restoration in 1982 to use natural, nontoxic and poison-free materials.
An insulated two car garage with basement and attached Persimmon Cottage (1040 square feet) were built in 2000.
On July 20, 1904, a news item appeared in the Clarendon Chronicle stating "the new residence of F.D. Martin (now known as the S.W. Lowe House) was well under way and would make quite a showing when completed." The Martins, natives of Tennessee, owned a very fine mercantile store which advertised tailor-made suits, real Valencia lace handkerchiefs, linen and Battenberg material. The Martins were most sympathetic to the arts. Clarendon was proud to have an opera house during this era, and "it is said that many times the female singers would dress at the Martin house for the performance".
About This Area:
Clarendon is one of the oldest thriving towns in the Texas Panhandle. This area of Texas is considered "prime" by many as it is not as exceeding dry as farther west into the desert states, nor is it as "muggy" as farther south can be. Average of 330 days of sunshine a year. Some snow in the winter, however, because of the sun, it does not stay on the ground for long. Some days in winter you can lunch outside, if sheltered from the breezes.
Yearning for a quiet, peaceful area with summer nights "to live for"?
Destination: Clarendon, Texas!
Only an hour away from a major city, international airport, alternative and traditional medical services, health food stores, shopping, the arts including: Amarillo Opera, symphony and a ballet company, restaurants and much more! Clarendon is a sweet small town where one lives. . . with a city nearby.
For more information and history of this property please visit our website.
- Stories: 2
- Square Feet: 4,340
- Bedrooms: 5
- Bathrooms: 5
Additional Rooms: 8
Heating & Cooling
- Central AC
- Central Heating
- Mother-in-law Apartment
- Built in: 1904
- Structure Type: House
- Lot Size: 0.75 Acres
Parking: 2 Spaces
- Detached Garage
- Fenced Yard
- Neighborhood information provided by Home Junction Inc. © 2019. Information deemed reliable but not guaranteed.
- GreatSchools Ratings provided by GreatSchools.org
- Disclaimer: “School attendance zone boundaries are supplied by Home Junction Inc. and are subject to change. Check with the school directly to verify enrollment eligibility.
- All pictures, details or descriptions of any property, condition of title, value or otherwise is provided for informational purposes only and may not represent the true and current status of the property now or at the time of sale. Neither ForSaleByOwner.com, nor Seller’s Broker shall be liable for any allowance, adjustment or revision in value of any property based upon the failure of such property, its appliances, its fixtures or its floor plan to conform to any specific standard. ForSaleByOwner.com hereby disclaims any representations or warranties as it relates to all information found herein.
- The information available on this page is for marketing purposes only.
- Please contact the Listing Agent or Seller directly for inquiries regarding this property and/or to make an offer.
- Fraud & Scam Awareness
Unfortunately, there are people that will use internet sites like ForSaleByOwner.com to run all manner of scams on users. We do all that we can to prevent the willful misuse of our platform, however; every day, the scams get more and more sophisticated. We ask that our users be cognizant of the risk and review the following basic ways to recognize and avoid being scammed.
- Recognizing and Avoiding Scams:
- Use secure, traceable transactions when making payments - Do not pay a deposit by wire transfer, prepaid money card, gift card, or other non-traditional payment method. Also, refuse to make "overpayments" and never enter into "handshake" deals without a contract.
- Don't accept suspect cashier/certified checks or money orders - Banks will process and cash the fakes, then hold you responsible.
- Never give out financial or personally identifiable information - This includes banking and credit card information, your birthdate, Social Security/Social Insurance Numbers, PayPal account etc.
- Suspicious communications - Watch for parties communicating using poor grammar, spelling or those who send nonsensical messages. Be wary of parties that are only willing to text/email and those that will never speak on the phone or that refuse to meet in person. Generally these people will claim to be "travelling" and unavailable to talk or located in a foreign country and unable to speak other than via text or email.
- Deals Too Good to be True - If the list price is obviously too low, or the terms are too generous as compared to the market, it’s likely a scam.
- Don’t be pressured to act immediately - Scammers typically try to make you think a listing is in high demand in order to push you into immediate action without consulting family, friends, or financial advisors. Say no to high pressure sales tactics.
- Who Should I notify about fraud or scam attempts?
- Internet Fraud Complaint Center
- FTC complaint form and hotline: 877-FTC-HELP (877-382-4357)
- Consumer Sentinel/Military (for armed service members and families)
- If you are defrauded by someone you met in person, contact your local police department.
- If you suspect that a listing posted here may be connected to a scam, please send us the details at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 888–FOR–SALE.
Let us help.
Call us toll free at
1 (888) FOR-SALE (1-888-367-7253)
Monday – Friday 8am - 8pm (Eastern Time)
Saturday – 11am – 3pm (Eastern Time)
Sunday – Closed