|Month||Avg. High (°F)||Avg. Low (°F)||Avg. Precipitation|
No flood water in 2006 or 2011!
A COMPLETE STREET RECONSTRUCTION was completed on this section of Bennett Avenue to include sidewalks, driveway aprons, and all underground utilities. [Sewer pipe, separate rain water pipe, city water pipe and NG pipe.] Also, new sidwalk from the public sidewalk to the front porch!
The best value in the area IF YOU want to customize your own home, all you need to do is have a vision!
THIS HOME IS A GREAT DEAL FOR THE BUYER WHO WOULD LIKE TO RENOVATE A HOME TO THEIR OWN TASTES. BUYERS WITH LIMITED FINANCIAL CAPACITY TO TAKE ON A REMODEL PROJECT SHOULD LOOK ELSEWHERE! For the average buyer who is looking for a top quality move-in condition home and can live with a lightly used kitchen and bathroom there are better deals elsewhere.
Sale prices in the immediate neighborhood!
14 Lathrop Avenue sold for $171K on October 26, 2018
46 Lathrop Avenue sold for $205K in November 2016
69 Bennett Avenue sold for $175K in November 2014
13 Lathrop Avenue sold for $150K in August 2014
74 Lathrop Avenue sold for $154.2K in June 2014
61 Bennett Avenue sold for $161K in April 2014
33 Bennett Avenue sold for $160.6 on 011314
16 Bennett Avenue sold for $170K on 080513
19 Bennett Avenue sold for $190K in July 2013
13 Lathrop Avenue sold for $215.6 on 020613
4 Johnson Avenue sold for $175K on 103012
12 Bennett Avenue sold for $151.6K in September 2012
35 Bennett Avenue sold for $159.6k in August 2012
19 Beethoven St. sold for $194K in August 2012
32 Lathrop Avenue sold for $143.5K in August 2012
56 Johnson Avenue sold for $162K in March 2012
48 Lathrop Avenue sold for $250K in December 2011
26 Johnson Avenue sold for $158.5K in 06/11
41 Johnson Avenue sold for $146K in November 2010
56 Johnson Avenue sold for $165K in August 2010
28 Lathrop Avenue sold for $160,000 in March 2010
73 Bennett Avenue sold for $143,000 in January 2010
48 Bennett Avenue, a bungalow style home, sold for $145,000 in August 2009.
14 Bennett Avenue sold for $140,000 in October 2009
62 Johnson Avenue sold for $150,000 in April 2009.
11 Bennett Avenue sold for 147K in 08/08
62 Lathrop Avenue sold for 141.7K in 08/08
13 Bennett Avenue sold for 169K in 12/07
16 Bennett Avenue sold for 145.5K in 10/07
44 Lathrop Avenue sold for 163K in 05/07
34 Lathrop Avenue sold for 195K in 03/07
27 Bennett Avenue sold for 161K in 10/06
70 Bennett Avenue sold for $140K in 06/05
67 Bennett Avenue sold for 169.9K in 1991 [Rod Serlings childhood home]
56 Bennett is a Millard Style home located in the Abel Bennett Historical District, a Prime West Side location between Recreation Park and Riverside Drive. It was built around 1910. The district is on both the State and National Registers of Historical Places. There are no restrictions placed on owners of state and nationally registered historic properties. If you want a home in this area with your dream kitchen and bathroom, this may be your most cost effective opportunity!
Total taxes are currently about $3,200 per year b.
56 Bennett is the home with the flagstone [grey] siding pictured above. It is the same style as 53 Bennett , the yellow home pictured second above. Also pictured, 55 Bennett [Stucco and blue duplex] and 58 Bennett [white], then a view east on Bennett Avenue away from #56 and last a view toward #56 [fourth from left]. As you can see, I am selling the neighborhood as much as the house! [56 Bennett is the ONLY home pictured currently for sale]
An online brochure for general information about the West Side is provided at the West Side
Neighboorhood Association's link:
This house is a good prospect for the family who does not have to live with someone elses used kitchen and bathroom or wishes to restore an older home in a historical district. BUT, YOU MUST HAVE A STRONG DESIRE TO CUSTOMIZE YOUR OWN HOME AND BE READY TO WORK WITH CONTRACTORS. IF YOU ARE NOT AT THAT POINT, 56 BENNETT IS NOT A GOOD PROSPECT FOR YOU.
The house is located on a level section of Bennett Avenue and features a reasonably flat lot [50 by 125] that will easily accommodate a first floor addition [family room, office, etc.] or expansion as has been done to many of these Millard Style homes. The single car garage was removed leaving room for a two car garage. It is within one mile of two synagogues and two Roman Churches. A number of churches are within a few miles. Lourdes Hospital is less than 1/4 mile away.
56 Bennett is a well built home requiring a great deal of TLC in a nice quiet side street neighborhood as the photos illustrate. The new overbuilt front porch is over 90% complete. You can decide the style and materials for the post wraps and railings.
The 2nd and 3rd floor shingles were replaced in September 2009 with CertainTeed Cedar Impressions Cedar Shake. The Cedar Shake was installed over 1 inch R-5 Dow styrofoam insulation to complement the insulation previously blown in the walls. The Cedar Impressions was the highest rated vinyl/plastic siding product in Consumer Reports June 2009 edition!
The clapboard on the first floor is in excellent shape on the three sides visible from the street and is good in the rear where it has not been stripped and sanded down to the wood.
All three roofs have been replaced [complete tear-off] with GAF Timberline 30 year shingles.
On the first floor: The 12 x 12.25 kitchen is already gutted [$1,000- $1,500 saved for you in demolition and removal fees]. The 10 x 6 half bath is partially gutted. There is a 6 x 6 porch under the same roof as the half bath that can be enclosed to expand the half bath and/or kitchen if desired. There is a 13.5 x 12.25 dining room and 25 x 12.5 living room with a wood burning fireplace. Both have new plaster walls and oak floors. No foyer.
On the second floor: There are three bedrooms with hardwood finished flooring. [14 x 12.25, 12.25 x 12 and 12.25 x 9.75] The 10 x 8 bathroom IS NOW GUTTED and while updating it and the kitchen below, they both should be rewired adding outlets with GFCI breakers. The electrical service for the house requires upgrading at the same time.
The third floor is a single finished room with a solid stain hardwood floor and built in bookcases, but is not insulated. Three dormers provide windows toward the street [south] and the east and west sides of the house.
The full basement houses an inefficient steam boiler [1960-70s vintage] feeding cast iron radiators on the three floors above. This can easily be converted to a high-efficiency hot water system. The water service is new all the way to the water line in the middle of the street.
All the interior doors are original to the house and with the exception of the door on the stairway landing between the first and second floors, they are all still close to square.
If you have a serious interest in a project like 56 Bennett, you may forward your questions to or call M-F from 8 AM - 3 PM.
No realtors please!
- Stories: 2.5
- Square Feet: 1,900
- Bedrooms: 4
- Bathrooms: 1.5
Additional Rooms: 2
- Built in: 1910
- Structure Type: House
- Lot Size: 50x125 Ft.
- Neighborhood information provided by Home Junction Inc. © 2020. Information deemed reliable but not guaranteed.
- GreatSchools Ratings provided by GreatSchools.org
- School attendance zone boundaries are supplied by Home Junction Inc. and are subject to change. Check with the school directly to verify enrollment eligibility.
- All pictures, details or descriptions of any property, condition of title, value or otherwise is provided for informational purposes only and may not represent the true and current status of the property now or at the time of sale. Neither ForSaleByOwner.com, nor Seller’s Broker shall be liable for any allowance, adjustment or revision in value of any property based upon the failure of such property, its appliances, its fixtures or its floor plan to conform to any specific standard. ForSaleByOwner.com hereby disclaims any representations or warranties as it relates to all information found herein.
- The information available on this page is for marketing purposes only.
- Please contact the Listing Agent or Seller directly for inquiries regarding this property and/or to make an offer.
- Fraud & Scam Awareness
Unfortunately, there are people that will use internet sites like ForSaleByOwner.com to run all manner of scams on users. We do all that we can to prevent the willful misuse of our platform, however; every day, the scams get more and more sophisticated. We ask that our users be cognizant of the risk and review the following basic ways to recognize and avoid being scammed.
- Recognizing and Avoiding Scams:
- Use secure, traceable transactions when making payments - Do not pay a deposit by wire transfer, prepaid money card, gift card, or other non-traditional payment method. Also, refuse to make "overpayments" and never enter into "handshake" deals without a contract.
- Don't accept suspect cashier/certified checks or money orders - Banks will process and cash the fakes, then hold you responsible.
- Never give out financial or personally identifiable information - This includes banking and credit card information, your birthdate, Social Security/Social Insurance Numbers, PayPal account etc.
- Suspicious communications - Watch for parties communicating using poor grammar, spelling or those who send nonsensical messages. Be wary of parties that are only willing to text/email and those that will never speak on the phone or that refuse to meet in person. Generally these people will claim to be "travelling" and unavailable to talk or located in a foreign country and unable to speak other than via text or email.
- Deals Too Good to be True - If the list price is obviously too low, or the terms are too generous as compared to the market, it’s likely a scam.
- Don’t be pressured to act immediately - Scammers typically try to make you think a listing is in high demand in order to push you into immediate action without consulting family, friends, or financial advisors. Say no to high pressure sales tactics.
- Who Should I notify about fraud or scam attempts?
- Internet Fraud Complaint Center
- FTC complaint form and hotline: 877-FTC-HELP (877-382-4357)
- Consumer Sentinel/Military (for armed service members and families)
- If you are defrauded by someone you met in person, contact your local police department.
- If you suspect that a listing posted here may be connected to a scam, please send us the details at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 888–FOR–SALE.
Let us help.
Call us toll free at
1 (888) FOR-SALE (1-888-367-7253)
Monday – Friday 8am - 8pm (Eastern Time)
Saturday – 11am – 3pm (Eastern Time)
Sunday – Closed