|Month||Avg. High (°F)||Avg. Low (°F)||Avg. Precipitation|
FORTY SIX+ ACRE LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN ESTATE WITH THE BEST SCENIC MOUNTAIN OVERLOOK
A private and natural environment including a main split level home, a cottage and a workshop on 46.3 acres overlooking Shinbone Valley. Three mountain ridges frame the eastern view background while two mountain ravines with streams and waterfalls create the north and south borders.
This unique Lookout Mountain Property, affectionatley know as Skye Island, is located in Alabama with the Georgia state line one half mile below in Shinbone Valley. The mountain ridges in the eastern backdrop make for breathtaking morning sunrises. On low cloud deck days, clouds are often seen covering the valley below and/or parked in the creek ravines that border the north and south property boundaries. These creeks feature various waterfall elements depending on the season. After rain events, the sounds of the waterfalls can be heard from both the cottage and main house. Old timers refer to the property as Turnip Knob and tell Civil War stories about General Ulysses S Grant camping on the knob during the civil war. If you truly want to experinece nature away from the distractions of civilization, this 'island in the sky' offers you that opportunity.
Its western boundary is Alabama Country Road 103, 1800 feet west of the main house; a split level home nestled against the overlook face rock. The entrance drive offers an amazing transition from the busy world we come from into this "island in the sky' world.
The main house has 7,672 sq.ft. under roof and 3636 sq.ft. living area. This home is a split level design generously windowed, with an open floor plan making for easy living and entertaining in the living, dining, kitchen area. Banks of windows look out to the upper deck, and provide an amazing view of the valley and mountains beyond. The 109 foot long covered deck wraps around the back of the home providing areas for relaxation and a timeless space to enjoy the valley overlook. One end of the deck features a build-in 6-8 person hot tub open to the star-lit nights. There are two bedrroms with private attached baths. A walk-in closet is accessible to one or both bedrooms. The office/bedroom is near the spacious laundry room and half bath. The laundry room has abundant storage cabinets and counter space. The two-car garage has automatic door openers and features enough space for two large vehicles in addition to two banks of storage cabinets/shelves.
Lower level of the main house features an extra large living area with windows looking out to the valley, space for game room activities / equipment, or extra beds, a full kitchen with space for tables and extras, along with two full bathrooms. One closed-in bedroom is off the living area. A well-lighted chase wraps around the back of this lower level, housing AC ductwork, hot water heater, water softener and more. There is ample parking and a private entrance for this lower level, which can also be used as a separate residence.
Cottage, Workshop, Fire Pit, Labyrinth
Cottage features 1211 sq. ft. of living space including living room, kitchen, laundry/storage room, two bedrooms, two full baths and one bedroom/office with outside deck off the office. Features central heat/ac, low maintenance with hardy plank siding, soffit, fascia and metal roof.
Workshop has 4455 sq. ft. under roof. Closed in area - 1210 sq. ft., solid wood walls, fully windowed, generous overhead lighting, concrete floor, full bath, stainless steel sink and counter area. Attached garage area - 812 sq. ft. Open shed area - 2,433 sq. ft. Two RV hook-ups.
Fire Pit is a generous 17 foot diameter structure, river rock lined, rimmed with mountain stone. Outer ring features mountain boulders for seating. Imagine yourself roasting hotdogs and marshmallows along with telling camp stories on a cool evening.
Labyrinth is a 48 foot diameter, 12-course replica of the Chartres Labyrinth. This ancient tool has been used for centuries by many ancient cultures. Lovingly build by the hands of current owners, it is laid out according to sacred geometry specifications and was built with natural river stones as path markers and labryses, with natural earth paths. A labyrinth has one path, no dead ends, which frees the mind allowing the heart to open. Walking the labyrinth includes releasing, receiving and returning as parts of a spiritual journey.
The property is within 2 hours of Atlanta, GA, 1 hour from Chattanooga, TN, 2 hours from Birmingham, AL and 2 1/2 hours from Nashville, TN. As it is a challenge to describe the true essence of this property, we have videos to send to qualified parties.
If interested, some furnishing are available for purchase at the time of the sale of the property.
ONLY *PRE-QUALIFIED PERSONS (must have *pre-quaification letter by bank or mortage company) can make appointment to see the property.
- Stories: 2
- Square Feet: 3,636
- Bedrooms: 3
- Bathrooms: 4.5
Additional Rooms: 28
- Liv Rm upper level: 25 x 25
- Dining & Kitchen - u: 23 x 21
- Foyer - upper level: 7 x 5
- BR 1 - upper level: 16 x 12
- Bath 1 - attached: 11 x 8
- Closet - upper level: 11 x 10
- BR 2 - upper level: 16 x 12
- Bath 2 - attached: 12 x 9
- Office - upper level: 13 x 7
- Laundry Rm upper: 13 x 12
- 1/2 Bath upper lev: 6 x 4
- Front Porch - covere: 12 x 8
- Garage: 30 x 23
- Liv Rm lower level: 25 x 23
- Kitchen lower level: 22 x 16
- Bath 1 lower level: 10 x 5
- Bath 2 lower level: 13 x 8
- BedR lower level: 17 x 13
- Porch covered low le: 64 x 8
- Paver patio low lev: 23 x 16
Heating & Cooling
- Central AC
- Central Heating
- Jetted Bathtub
- Built in: 1998
- Structure Type: House
- Lot Size: 46.30 Acres
Parking: 2 Spaces
- Attached Garage
- Neighborhood information provided by Home Junction Inc. © 2020. Information deemed reliable but not guaranteed.
- GreatSchools Ratings provided by GreatSchools.org
- School attendance zone boundaries are supplied by Home Junction Inc. and are subject to change. Check with the school directly to verify enrollment eligibility.
- All pictures, details or descriptions of any property, condition of title, value or otherwise is provided for informational purposes only and may not represent the true and current status of the property now or at the time of sale. Neither ForSaleByOwner.com, nor Seller’s Broker shall be liable for any allowance, adjustment or revision in value of any property based upon the failure of such property, its appliances, its fixtures or its floor plan to conform to any specific standard. ForSaleByOwner.com hereby disclaims any representations or warranties as it relates to all information found herein.
- The information available on this page is for marketing purposes only.
- Please contact the Listing Agent or Seller directly for inquiries regarding this property and/or to make an offer.
- Fraud & Scam Awareness
Unfortunately, there are people that will use internet sites like ForSaleByOwner.com to run all manner of scams on users. We do all that we can to prevent the willful misuse of our platform, however; every day, the scams get more and more sophisticated. We ask that our users be cognizant of the risk and review the following basic ways to recognize and avoid being scammed.
- Recognizing and Avoiding Scams:
- Use secure, traceable transactions when making payments - Do not pay a deposit by wire transfer, prepaid money card, gift card, or other non-traditional payment method. Also, refuse to make "overpayments" and never enter into "handshake" deals without a contract.
- Don't accept suspect cashier/certified checks or money orders - Banks will process and cash the fakes, then hold you responsible.
- Never give out financial or personally identifiable information - This includes banking and credit card information, your birthdate, Social Security/Social Insurance Numbers, PayPal account etc.
- Suspicious communications - Watch for parties communicating using poor grammar, spelling or those who send nonsensical messages. Be wary of parties that are only willing to text/email and those that will never speak on the phone or that refuse to meet in person. Generally these people will claim to be "travelling" and unavailable to talk or located in a foreign country and unable to speak other than via text or email.
- Deals Too Good to be True - If the list price is obviously too low, or the terms are too generous as compared to the market, it’s likely a scam.
- Don’t be pressured to act immediately - Scammers typically try to make you think a listing is in high demand in order to push you into immediate action without consulting family, friends, or financial advisors. Say no to high pressure sales tactics.
- Who Should I notify about fraud or scam attempts?
- Internet Fraud Complaint Center
- FTC complaint form and hotline: 877-FTC-HELP (877-382-4357)
- Consumer Sentinel/Military (for armed service members and families)
- If you are defrauded by someone you met in person, contact your local police department.
- If you suspect that a listing posted here may be connected to a scam, please send us the details at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 888–FOR–SALE.
Let us help.
Call us toll free at
1 (888) FOR-SALE (1-888-367-7253)
Monday – Friday 8am - 8pm (Eastern Time)
Saturday – 11am – 3pm (Eastern Time)
Sunday – Closed