We offer a secure email message center. Your personal contact information is kept hidden from interested parties, so you can decide when to reveal your information to potential buyers. And if your phone number is on the National Do Not Call Registry, it is illegal for solicitors to contact you through your secure voicemail.
ForSaleByOwner.com helps protect you from receiving unsolicited e-mail and phone calls by placing the following security features on our site:
Hidden E-mail Address: After placing an ad on ForSaleByOwner.com, your e-mail address is hidden behind the link “Click Here to Contact Seller”. This security feature masks your e-mail address from being added to bulk mailing lists and allows potential buyers to e-mail you through a form without having your personal e-mail address. When the message is forwarded to you, you have the option of replying to the message to reveal your e-mail address, putting you in charge of communication with the potential buyer.
Free Voicemail: All paying ForSaleByOwner.com customers have access to our FREE Voicemail service. This system allows you to record a message for buyers to hear and receive message from potential buyers. The best part is that the Voicemail access number is on the National Do Not Call Registry, which means that it is illegal for solicitors to contact you through this service. This is provided to our Sellers for free and can be activated by visiting your Selling Center and clicking Activate Free Voicemail.
Fraud & Scam Awareness
Unfortunately, there are people that will use internet sites like ForSaleByOwner.com to run all manner of scams on users. We do all that we can to prevent the willful misuse of our platform, however; every day, the scams get more and more sophisticated. We ask that our users be cognizant of the risk and review the following basic ways to recognize and avoid being scammed.
Recognizing and Avoiding Scams:
- Use secure, traceable transactions when making payments – Do not pay a deposit by wire transfer, prepaid money card, gift card, or other non-traditional payment method. Also, refuse to make “overpayments” and never enter into “handshake” deals without a contract.
- Don’t accept suspect cashier/certified checks or money orders – Banks will process and cash the fakes, then hold you responsible.
- Never give out financial or personally identifiable information – This includes banking and credit card information, your birthdate, Social Security/Social Insurance Numbers, PayPal account etc.
- Suspicious communications – Watch for parties communicating using poor grammar, spelling or those who send nonsensical messages. Be wary of parties that are only willing to text/email and those that will never speak on the phone or that refuse to meet in person. Generally these people will claim to be “travelling” and unavailable to talk or located in a foreign country and unable to speak other than via text or email.
- Deals Too Good to be True – If the list price is obviously too low, or the terms are too generous as compared to the market, it’s likely a scam.
- Don’t be pressured to act immediately – Scammers typically try to make you think a listing is in high demand in order to push you into immediate action without consulting family, friends, or financial advisors. Say no to high pressure sales tactics.
Who Should I notify about fraud or scam attempts?
- Internet Fraud Complaint Center
- FTC complaint form and hotline: 877-FTC-HELP (877-382-4357)
- Consumer Sentinel/Military (for armed service members and families)
- If you are defrauded by someone you met in person, contact your local police department.
- If you suspect that a listing posted here may be connected to a scam, please send us the details at email@example.com or call us at 888–FOR–SALE.
To cancel your Featured Home listing:
- Click here to login
- Click Cancel below the notification for the feature that you have
- You will be prompted to click Confirm Cancellation
- You will then receive on-screen cancellation confirmation.
If you did not receive on-screen cancellation confirmation, the feature has not been cancelled.
For maximum exposure for your property we recommend you upgrade to The Professional package. Your property will then receive exposure through inclusion on leading home search sites and the MLS (subject to local MLS rules and regulations).
If you currently have The Independent package with ForSaleByOwner.com and you would like to purchase an upgrade, go to the Features and Upgrades page of your Selling Center for more information and to upgrade. Or contact Customer Support for assistance.
*MLS is not available in all areas
Changes made to your listing will be automatically reflected on our affiliate websites within 24-48 hours of you making those changes at ForSaleByOwner.com.
If you wish to cancel your Listing please follow the steps below.
To cancel your ad:
- Click here to login
- Click Cancel Listing
- You will be prompted to answer a short survey before canceling your listing
- After you have completed the short survey, click Cancel My Listing
- You will receive on-screen cancellation confirmation and your ad will be deactivated immediately
Please Note: If you did not receive on-screen cancellation confirmation, your listing has not been cancelled.
If you have a ForSaleByOwner.com listing, you can edit your ad whenever you would like and as often as you would like.
To edit your ad:
- Click here to Login to your Selling Center. Or, click Login at the top right hand corner of any page.
- Click Edit Listing.
- Make changes to your listing.
- After you have made your changes, click Preview Ad to see a sample of your listing or click Save Changes to save your listing. Do not click your browser’s back button or you may lose your changes.
- After you click Save Changes, you will receive on-screen confirmation that your changes have been saved.